Determine the fleet requirements and compiled a scope of work for contractor tender purposes
Reduced equipment footprint and improved contracting methodology.
1. Problem Statement
- The smelter requested that the material movement requirement (i.e. the number and configuration of Yellow Machines) should be quantified and specified for the tender renewal process.
- As part of the contract renewal, the entire operational process and fleet allocation (capacity and quantity) should reviewed and improved to unlock savings.
2. Solution Approach
- As a first step the entire material flow process was mapped on the physical smelter complex. Contractual and actual movements was compared to identify discrepancies;
- Time studies was conducted for utilisation verification purposes;
- A simulation model was developed to evaluate potential contractual improvement opportunities by running various scenarios in terms of:
- The number of yellow machines;
- The capacity of individual machines;
- Combining areas of work for various machines;
3. Project Outcomes
- Detailed scope of works specifying equipment type, capacity and planned utilisation rates.
- Reduction in fleet size;
- A 3D Simulation model developed. Model with run-time license to enable continuous scenario and tactical evaluation.