Design of a FMGC warehouse (size, layout, resources, MHE)
A warehouse design that includes: layout, resource requirement , MHE requirement, bin layout and flow requirements.
1. Problem Statement
- The client is consolidating multiple facilities into a single facilities, the impact thereof needs to be analysed with focus on:
- Space requirement per SKU (inside and outside);
- Number of vehicles entering the facility and the flow thereof;
- The number of human resources required per area in the facility;
- The MHE equipment requirement (diesel forklifts, electric forklifts etc.);
- Different picking and binning strategies must be compared as the warehouse will do both bulk picking and fine picking;
2. Solution Approach
- Analyse vehicle and inventory transactional data to determine:
- Vehicle movement trends (type, quantity, seasonality etc.);
- SKU analysis (storage requirement, movement frequency etc.);
- CAD drawings were created as a blueprint for the model.
- Various 3D simulations were run using different combinations of input parameters (entry gates, human resources, MHE, vehicle flow, picking strategies, arrival schedules etc.)
- Model results were populated in QlikView to compare scenario results;
3. Project Outcomes
- A 3D Simulation model for both inside and outside warehouse.
- CAD drawings of the facility (inside and outside), including binning locations.
- Operational requirements:
- Human resources and MHE
- Entry gates and parking bays (collections and deliveries)
- Bin requirement (per SKU)
- Vehicle Flow
- Picking and binning strategies