Using simulation modelling to determine the effect of the new South African collision avoidance regulations has on the overall mining production.
Mining production model & scenarios
1. Problem Statement
- In 2015 regulations were set in place to ensure the implementation of collision avoidance systems (CAS) in TMM’s. The regulations included automatic detection as well as automatic intervention systems.
- Fourier-E was approached to provide a solution in order to determine the effect the new regulations would have on the overall mine production levels.
2. Solution Approach
- Mapping the current mine layout, functional areas & related flow (incoming & outgoing);
- Capacity analysis to determine current and future states of the mining complex;
- Development of a model which would allow the new CAS systems to be simulated along with various scenarios to determine the effect on production.
- Analysing, evaluation and application of best practice design principles to the simulation model to determine the best coarse forward;
3. Project Outcomes
- A roadmap which could be used to minimize the production loss due to the new CAS.
- A Simulation model of the overall mining operation which could be used for future “what-if” analysis and optimization.